Thursday, October 15, 2009

InterLibrary Loan: A Students Perspective

I'll sometimes search through the catalogs online and see a book or magazine that catches my eye; however, when I look for it's location, I see it's actually at ANOTHER library. Luckily, I don't have to drive there if I don't need it right this instant thanks to the Interlibrary Loan system. I wouldn't use this service for a simple read, but if it was dire for a research paper (that I DIDN'T wait until the last minute on) and had time to spare, I would. An Interlibrary loan is a service offered free of charge by the CLC library in which other libraries lend their materials to us to use. CLC takes on any charges unless you don't return it on time, and all it takes is filing a request with the reference desk. You can do this via e-mail (shaslow@clcillinois.edu) or physically bring a filled out copy of the request form (seen here). After processing the request you will get a call (make sure you have 3-4 weeks of leeway) once the material comes in.

Main Site: http://library.clcillinois.edu/ill.cfm

No comments: